- What is the best time to visit Umluj?
- Tourists Spots in Umluj – The Maldives of Saudi Arabia
- Things to Do in Umluj
- How to Travel to Umluj?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the visa process for visiting Umluj?
- What are the accommodation options in Umluj?
- How can I get around Umluj?
- What are the local customs and etiquette in Umluj?
- What are the best ways to experience Umluj’s cultural heritage?
- What are the best ways to experience Umluj’s natural beauty?
- What are the best places to eat in Umluj?
- What are the best souvenirs to bring back from Umluj?
Looking for a tropical paradise getaway?
Visit Umluj, famous as “Maldives of Saudi Arabia,” having 104 subtropical islands, with stunning beach located on the Red Sea coast in the Al Wajh province of Saudi Arabia.
A relatively new tourist destination, Umluj (old name Al-Hawra) has gained popularity in recent years due to its breath-taking natural beauty and government efforts to promote tourism.
In addition to its natural beauty, Umluj also boasts a rich cultural heritage.
We as visitors can also experience the local culture by visiting the traditional markets and trying local cuisine.
What is the best time to visit Umluj?
In Saudi Arabia, we can visit Umluj beach between November and April when the weather is pleasant.
Swimmable temperatures range from 20 to 30 degrees Celsius during this time, making it an ideal time to go snorkelling, swimming and diving.
From May to October, Umluj’s summer is humid and hot, up to 45 degrees Celsius.
The sea can also be rough during this time, making it difficult to enjoy water activities.
Also, November and April is recommended to avoid crowds and get the best experience.
Tourists Spots in Umluj – The Maldives of Saudi Arabia
The town’s namesake beach is a haven for relaxation and recreation.
Stroll along the soft sand, swim in the turquoise waters, or indulge in water sports like snorkelling and diving.
Jabal Hassan Island
This idyllic island, just 20 kilometers from Umluj Beach, offers pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a vibrant marine life.
Al Manakhah Heritage Museum
Delve into Umluj’s rich history and cultural heritage at this fascinating museum, showcasing traditional artifacts, handicrafts, and local customs.
Old Emirate Palace
Step back in time and admire the grandeur of this historical palace, once the residence of the region’s rulers.
Immerse yourself in the vibrant green landscapes of Umluj’s mango farms, where you can savour the sweetness of freshly picked mangoes.
Red Sea Global launched a Souq called “Ameerah Souq” for promoting local products. – Arab News
Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the local Souq, where you can find traditional handicrafts, souvenirs, and spices.
Things to Do in Umluj
Umluj offers a plethora of activities to suit all interests:
Indulge in swimming, snorkelling, diving, kayaking, and stand-up paddleboarding.
Embark on hiking and camping adventures in the scenic wadis and mountains.
Visit local villages, museums, and Souqs to experience Umluj’s rich cultural heritage.
Spot dolphins, turtles, dugongs, and a variety of bird species in their natural habitats.
Savour the flavours of Umluj’s traditional cuisine, including fresh seafood, local delicacies, and sweet mango treats.
How to Travel to Umluj?
You can drive from any city of Saudi Arabia to Umluj.
The route involves taking the King Abdullah Road to Medina, then heading towards Yanbu and finally driving south along the coast to Umluj.
Distances vary city to city.
There are several bus services that operate between cities of Saudi Arabia and Umluj.
The journey takes around 7-8 hours, and buses typically depart from the Jeddah bus station.
The nearest airport in Jeddah to Umluj is Prince Abdul Majeed bin Abdulaziz Airport in Al-Ula, which is approximately 150 km away in Jeddah and Yanbu Airport.
In Jeddah, there are several airlines that operate flights between Jeddah and Al-Ula, and from there, you can hire a car or take a taxi to Umluj.
To avoid any inconvenience, you should always plan your journey ahead of time and book your ticket or transportation service early, especially during peak visitor seasons.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the visa process for visiting Umluj?
Citizens of most countries can obtain an e-visa online or upon arrival in Saudi Arabia.
What are the accommodation options in Umluj?
Umluj offers a range of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to cozy guesthouses.
How can I get around Umluj?
The most convenient way to get around Umluj is by taxi or private car.
What are the local customs and etiquette in Umluj?
Umluj is a conservative town, and visitors should dress modestly, particularly when visiting religious sites.
It is also customary to greet people with a handshake or a slight bow of the head.
Tipping is not expected, but is appreciated for good service.
What are the best ways to experience Umluj’s cultural heritage?
There are several ways to experience Umluj’s cultural heritage:
1. Visit the Al Manakhah Heritage Museum, which showcases traditional artifacts, handicrafts, and local customs.
2. Explore the Old Emirate Palace, a historical palace that once served as the residence of the region’s rulers.
3. Visit local villages to experience traditional life and customs.
4. Attend local festivals and events.
What are the best ways to experience Umluj’s natural beauty?
There are many ways to experience Umluj’s natural beauty:
1. Relax on the pristine beaches of Umluj Beach and Jabal Hasan Island.
2. Explore the scenic mountains.
3. Go snorkelling or diving to marvel at the diverse marine life.
4. Take a boat trip to the Farasan Islands to see dolphins, turtles, and dugongs.
What are the best places to eat in Umluj?
Umluj offers a variety of dining options, from traditional seafood restaurants to international cuisine.
Here are a few recommended restaurants:
1. Al Manakhah Restaurant: Authentic Saudi cuisine with a view of the Red Sea.
2. Umluj Kitchen: Fresh seafood and local delicacies.
3. The Blue Lagoon: Mediterranean-inspired cuisine with a panoramic view of the beach.
4. Al Ishaq Cafe: A cozy cafe with delicious pastries and coffee.
What are the best souvenirs to bring back from Umluj?
Here are a few ideas for souvenirs to bring back from Umluj:
1. Handcrafted jewellery and textiles.
2. Traditional spices and condiments.
3. Fresh seafood and dried fruits.
4. Souvenirs from the Al Manakhah Heritage Museum.
No doubt, Umluj is a hidden gem of Saudi Arabia, offering a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and exhilarating adventures.
Whether you’re seeking a tranquil escape or an adventurous escapade, Umluj has something for everyone.
So pack your bags, grab your snorkelling gear, and embark on an unforgettable journey to the enchanting shores of Umluj, “The Maldives of Saudi Arabia.”